Monday, October 1, 2012

Back to the primitive

Back to the primitive, fuck off all you wannabes (Soulfly)
This story probably begins as many others. I have been running since 2009 and, as I love reading, I have been also reading a lot about running, so I heard about barefooot running a long time ago and had been thinking to try it for a while. Recently I did read an article in Runner's World magazine about the Copper Canyon Ultra Marathon, the Tarahumaras and the dead of ultrarunner Micah True and I finally took the decision to transition to barefoot running (I think that is completely understandable as many people have been inspired by Micah True and Chris McDougall's Born to run book.
I spent the first 7 years of my life living in the country side and I was really used to move around in barefeet, that's was pretty natural. So it must not be too hard. At the end, if running is as easy as lace up your shoes and get outside, barefoot running must be even easier.
So this is what happened this morning (after some reading over the previous days). I decided to start the transition slowly (as it is suggested everywhere and for everything), so I got ouside for a barefoot walk with our dog (he is an experienced barefoot runner!!!). It was a short walk, around 2 kilometers and I also tried jogging for a few meters from time to time, just to discover that I am too used to the heel strike of Shod running. I think it will take some time to change that, but I already took the first steps (literally) to do it.
It was not all fun. I cannot believe it happened to me on my first "oficial" barefoot walk. I never had that problem when running on shoes, but today I stepped in poo, a really bad way to start the day, isn't it? Fortunately, I did read an article a few days ago that made me feel better.
You could step on something or, worse, IN something! Response: Yeah, so? But: a) How bad would it REALLY be?; b) How often is this REALLY a problem, or are you just imagining it happening without knowing the actual numbers?; c) Are these injuries worse than the various problems people have in shoes?; d) If you do step in poo… which is easier to hose off: your feet or a waffle-soled shoe?

Tomorrow will be another day, another barefoot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment